Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A plan in place.

Today lived up to it's expectations....and more. I am so lucky to have my sister, Karrie, and my sister-in-law Michele to interpret and advise me. Michele is so knowledgeable, thoughtful and caring (thank you for the books and CD"S)...and Karrie is on the same learning curve as me..so she sometimes asks those hard questions that I may think are too dumb...to ask...but we need answers for just the same. We joked about walking in as my "Entourage". And I was SO glad they had my back.

The Dr. at BreastLink was SO informative..and knowledgeable and she spoke to us in language that we could understand. She drew diagrams and printed out information on a special website. I won't go into the details..but I left there feeling like I had so much more information at my disposal. Michele's input was so valuable.

I transcribed all of the notes and made questions for my next appointment with Kaiser. At first I think my Dr. was a little scared of our bombardment of questions..but then she smiled and said it was amazing how much we had learned within 2 short weeks....of course I answered that it didn't seem like 2 SHORT weeks.!!!

After careful input from all concerned...I made the decision to go ahead and schedule the bilateral mastectomy, with concurrent reconstruction, to be followed with chemotherapy.

For me personally, I need to have the cancer removed now rather than later....and weighed all of those options.

My surgery is scheduled for Friday, July 6. I will most likely be in the hospital for a couple of nights.

The good news is that this weekend we get to celebrate Sonny's 20th here in OC,,,and also get to enjoy the 4th,,,,and plan for the recovery process.

Please...don't consider my decisions either the right or wrong way to deal with breast cancer. What I have learned in these 2 short weeks..is that it is an extremely personal decision...and it takes a great deal to sort out what is important to each individual.

I made my choice...and actually feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders....or in this case ..breasts.

Thanks.

Love you.

Nancy

2 comments:

Claudia C said...

It always helps to have a plan. I know that hings will go well on the the 6th.Chuck and I will be thinking of you!

Claudia C.

Alyson Breathed said...

Nancy - I have a really cool, but a little offbeat suggestion for you! I can personally attest to this. I had my hysterectomy on Tues. went home Wed. morning and mowed the lawn Friday. My surgeon said he'd "never seen a recovery like mine." It's a set of two cd's given me by a doc who's a friend. They're called Successful Surgery - the first cd you listen to several times prior to your surgery - they are simply affirmations about how great your surgery is going to go, and they help you visualize the successful process. Very painless. The second cd is just harp music and you actually listen to it during your surgery (it keeps you from hearing subliminally all the discussion of the docs during your procedure). I was VERY SKEPTICAL - but I thought what the hell, it can't hurt. My anestesiologist (sp) thought it was great - All I know is I never missed a beat. I'll burn the cd's for you if you think you'd consider it. It's just very, very positive and upbeat. Lemme know. Love Alyson