Friday, June 22, 2007

Public Service Announcement!

Girls.....please ask your doctor about the density of your breast tissue. To help you understand this....pick up the July issue of O (oprah) magazine...they discuss how this knowledge is so important for mammograms!
for example...I had a mammogram in Dec. got the all clear---come back in 2 years..and now here I am with breast cancer.....well come to learn that my density of breast tissue (4 out of 4) would not show cancer. especially the type I have..lobular...I should have been referred to a digital mammogram.
It seems to me that we are all pretty diligent about getting our annual mammo's.....but for some of us these led to a false sense of security.
Early detection is key!
Love,
Nancy

2 comments:

Adrienne Gemberling said...

Nancy, I don't personally know what you're going through, but have been through it with many women--our patients and my mother. I do tend to be very clinical about the whole process... Yes, early detection is key. So is having the positive attitude and great support to just get through it, over it and on with it successfully. I know it can be overwhelming, there is so much information to sort through and digest. You said your diagnosis is lobular, is it multicentric or multifocal? A prophylactic bilateral mastectomy is a common choice, especially since most women do have surgery on the opposite breast for matching purposes. Actually, I think it's "easier" to get good postoperative symmetry when reconstructing a bilateral mastectomy, especially if one chooses implant reconstruction. If you have questions or would like to talk to someone familiar with the process, please call or e-mail.

Nancy McCracken said...

Wow...adrienne....I really appreciate your expertise...but it made me realize that I still don't know everything...about my cancer..like is it multicentric or multifocal...I have never even heard of that...not in my book...I need to give you a call.
thanks...Nancy