Saturday, July 21, 2007

Don't move...easier said than done...

Well, I had my visit with my plastic surgeon on Friday. I knew going in that I was swollen,,retaining fluid in my entire chest area...and was dreading the appointment. He asked me what I had been doing with my arms to create this kind of swelling...I said just the usual..and also the exercises that were sent home with me...he said those were not exercises for mastectomies..( what did I know...I am good at following directions! ).and that is what caused the swelling..and maybe my feeble attempt at vacuuming on thursday. So to reduce the swelling he injected 50 cc's of saline into my expanders , and then wrapped me really tightly with the ace bandage with strict instructions not to move my arms for 2 more weeks!!!! He is hoping that the combination of pressure from behind and on top of the swelling would make it be reabsorbed more quickly.
Then Karrie and I went to a wig store. We had a ball! It is this wig shop in Mission Viejo that has been there for 32 years. We tried on some wigs...and I felt much better about that phase of my treatment. Also, a friend from work dropped off a beautiful wig for me to try as well.
Mairin got home from her cruise and showed me some great photos...and regaled me with stories of her adventures. Colin is at the Temecula lacrosse tournament..and right at this moment playing in the semi-final game! Sonny came home yesterday to check in with me...and unfortunately woke up feeling sick this morning..so he is off to the doctor. I felt bad I couldn't go with him...but then he reminded me..Mom...I go to the doctor by myself at college all the time...oh yeah. Once your kid...always your kid. I sometimes forget that he is a young man!
The meals this week were fantastic! Thank you from all of us...Sheri, MaryVictoria and Renee! We stretched them into lunches too.
I am really testing my patience here...I am not a lay-around type of person. However, he did just say not to move my arms. Last evening I went for a walk. It felt nice. I plan to do that more often......and hand the vacuuming over to someone else!
Love,
Nancy

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Hi Nancy!

Glad the wig shopping experience was encouraging for you... Glad you are enjoying your meals, too, bet Martha's meal last night was pretty yummy! :-) What did she make you guys?! :-) Hope the swelling goes down for you soon so you can enjoy more activity... In the mean time, rest well! :-)