Friday, July 13, 2007

long day today....

Well today I went to the Dr. to get the remaining drains removed. SO glad to be rid of them. It will def. make me more comfortable. She said everything looks good so far.
She described my pathology report as "interesting"...which gave me chills running up my spine. It was kind of a "good news,,bad news" report.
The bad news,,,there was more cancer in my right breast than originally found...and they also found cancer in my LEFT breast! This was a total suprise because throughout all of the tests...it never showed up! However, this kind of cancer is very tough to find in traditional methods....which is why I decided to have both removed.
The good news is that both are now gone....and I only had traces in my lymph glands....so I am relieved that I made the best decision for me......otherwise I would have been facing more surgery in the future.
The next phase is chemotherapy which should begin within the next few weeks.
My college roommate, Cherie flew down here yesterday,,,,and did the official changing of the guards with my sister Karrie. She too is determined to have my house germ free (mostly clutter-free) before I begin chemo. She has spent hours organizing...and taking over from where Karrie left off. I can never begin to thank them for all of their help.
I have had so many offers of food coming that I told my kids to get out a calendar! Since I have teenagers,,,they are so appreciative of the meals. Thank you!
I am thoroughly worn out ......off to a cool shower and then bed.
One week down!
Love,
Nancy

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Wow, it's definitely a great thing you had your left breast removed, too... Now you can start fresh... Hope you get some good rest, Nancy...

Lynn Nebergall said...

Hi Nancy,
So glad to hear you are back at home and that you were able to get your drains out! (Aren't those yucky!!!) What a great decision that you had your left breast removed ....Keep listening to that inner voice....!!!
Rest well and take advantage of all the help people are offering. Any idea when you will start your chemo? Sending hugs your way.....
Lynn

Peggy McL said...

Nancy,
I've been traveling (family vacations this time) for a good chunk of time and am so happy to hear everything's gone well...in the long run. Thank goodness you were proactive and had the double masectomy. How reassuring to know you made the right decision and after your chemo can move forward with the reconstruction phase to a brand new you! I'm sure it's awesome to have Cherie there with her incredible positive energy. Thanks for keeping us all posted via the blog. xo, Peggy