Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Quiet on the homefront!

Today was a relatively quiet day around here. I am used to organized chaos around me. Where did everyone go? Mairin left yesterday for the cruise, with her Dance Studio....one that I had been looking forward to for a year....she is in good hands...and like a dutiful daughter, even called me this morning to check in. My sister left last night to head up to her house and catch up on some things of her own that had been piling up. But not before she did more laundry,,,hung photos, went to the store etc.....
So last night was my first night with just Colin here. Karrie bought me one of those little bells that you ring at the front lobby of cheap hotels...and put it next to my bed. This morning when I needed my meds...I rang and rang AND RANG.....then got smart and called Colin on his phone....no answer. I staggered into his room....where I quickly realized that of course he couldn't hear me with the door closed and his fan on full blast. He saw me and leaped (lept?) out of bed with concern on his face. That made me feel good. He handled his assignment as the Nurse , with great care.
On the medical front, I had my phone conversation with my 2nd opinion doctor regarding my pathology report. She is an oncologist. She was surprised to read about the cancer in the left breast...but was so relieved that I had followed my gut instincts and had it removed. Her opinion regarding the next phase of my treatment was what I expected. She would recommend an aggressive chemo regime. This is because of the size of my cancer,,and the few floating cells found in my lymph gland...and because I am young and healthy (relatively speaking of course!) and can handle it. Probably will be about 16 weeks total...she would guess. A round of chemo every 2-3 weeks....
I will get my oncologists plan for me when I go next Thursday. I would expect to begin treatment the following week...unless there is some problem with my surgery....which seems to be healing well.
Yes,,,,the hair will come out. Oh well. I am planning to get it cut short this Friday,,and maybe even go a little wild with the color...treat this like an adventure. I've been looking at wigs on-line...but will probably go to a wig store next week as well. I will need to get something to wear when I meet with clients. And I need to get back to work! My very competent partner has been doing a fantastic job for me. But I feel like I need to at least go in the office and stay in the loop. I want to stay involved in the things I love and not let this cancer rule my life.
Now if you see some scarf out there that you just know I would like....by all means get it to me...drop it by..mail it...send by boat...plane....I love getting presents!
For those of you that have dropped off food,,,it has been scarfed down (funny!) Thank you so much.
Once I get this new do...I'll post another photo.
Love
Nancy
PS...that comment on my last post that looked like it was from me,,was actually Mairin.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hi Nancy ~

Is it guaranteed that you will lose your hair? My dad had chemo and never lost any hair. Maybe you will be an exception. They do have pretty scarves and hats nowadays though... I'll keep an eye out, but you may not even need anything! Well, hope you're getting some good rest... We're all rooting for you...

~ Kim

Susan said...

Hi Nancy,

I know where to get you a beautiful, natural hair blond wig to try and see how you like...I think the color is just about what you have now..I will ask Kimberly at Reception how to get to you!
Susan Garcia in Career Development....also, when you have the wig you can take to any hairstylist and they will style for you and help you with it..